My Cart

Close
US Owned and Operated
Free Shipping on Orders Over $39
Nurse Approved

Beads and Babies Don’t Mix Well on St. Patrick’s Day!

Beads and Babies Don’t Mix Well on St. Patrick’s Day!

As the mom of a curious toddler, you probably already know that your baby will put anything in their mouth. Toy parts, crayons, jewelry, and even dog food may somehow find their way into your little one’s orifices on a daily basis.

Your days likely consist of grabbing random items out of your toddler’s hands and mouth but around St. Patrick’s Day, your SuperMom tunnel vision is even more crucial to keeping your child safe. Those fun green beads that help you get into the Irish spirit are tempting for toddlers and swallowing these beads could lead to big problems.

Here at KEEP>GOING First Aid Kits, we understand how quickly fun holiday shenanigans can turn into a panicked scene. If your child accidentally swallowed these beads, here’s what you should do.

  • Assess the situation.

A chocking child will gag or make high pitched noises. If he or she is coughing forcefully or talking, your child is not choking, your little may just clear out their throat, don't panic and wait till it's over. If your little one cannot speak and has troubles breathing ask someone to call 911 immediately and perform the Heimlich maneuver. However, if the damage has been done and those green beads are already in your child’s stomach, take a moment to assess the situation. Ensure your child is breathing and chatting with ease.

  • Call your doctor.

Consider what your child swallowed. If it was simple round beads, call your doctor and consult with him on the next steps to take. He may ask you to wait it out or he may have you come in for an x-ray to ensure the beads are passing through without a problem.

If the item your little one swallowed included sharp objects or batteries, you may have a bigger problem. Call the Poison Control Center to discuss your specific situation and consider taking your child to the local Emergency Room immediately.

  • Observe your child.

If simple beads were swallowed and your doc told you to wait it out, continue observing your child. Distract your toddler with colorful stickers from your KEEP>GOING compact First Aid Kit.

Continue celebrating the fun green holiday with a close eye on your little one. If they start coughing, wheezing, gagging, drooling, or experiencing tummy troubles, take them in the Emergency Room immediately.

In most cases, round, small St. Patrick’s Day beads will pass through your child’s system without a hitch and come out on the other side. But keep an eye out for signs that you need to seek medical attention. KEEP>GOING First Aid Kits are Designed to Help but keeping in close contact with your child’s doctor is the best way to ensure your St. Patrick’s Day doesn’t end in disaster.